Roasted Tomato Soup
For the past few weeks I have been participating in Kenlie’s Cooking at Home With Calphalon Challenge. I love cooking, but it has been kind of a challenge for me to start making new dinners since we usually eat the same things over and over. (How boring, I know!) This week’s challenge was to make a veggie-ful soup or stew.
I decided to make a Roasted Tomato Soup. Even though it was hot and it’s not really soup season, I figured tomatoes are summer-y and once I got started I was excited about it!
This was actually fairly quick and easy for a soup! Quick, easy and not too many ingredients, but healthy and tasty? Yes, please.
8 tomatos ( I used 4 large romas and 4 on-the-vine)
1 sweet onion
1 clove garlic
1 quart vegetable broth
2 28 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup cooked brown rice
salt, pepper and oregano to taste.
1) Slice the tomatoes into 1/4-1/2 inch slices and arrange them on a baking sheet. (I sprayed a bit of olive oil cooking spray on the baking sheet first.) Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 25 minutes at 375*
2) dice up the onion and sautee in a dutch oven in some olive oil. Once the onion is soft, add a clove of garlic and sautee with the onion for about a minute.
3) Add the roasted tomatoes, the vegetable broth, the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil. After the soup boils, reduce heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
4) Add the cooked rice and remove from heat. (the rice thickens the soup.)
5) Blend all ingredients to form a smooth soup.
6) Season to taste. (I used salt, pepper and oregano because I prefer a savory tomato soup rather than a sweet tasting one. You can also season with basil or add roasted red peppers to the soup for a different flavor.)
7) don’t hesitate to serve with bread or a grilled cheese sandwich. This soup is perfect for mopping up!